WHAT WE KNOW
- 58 people were killed and 500 injured in a shooting on the Las Vegas Strip at 10:08 p.m. Sunday (1:08 a.m. ET Monday)
- The gunman, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, fired shots from a window in the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino onto the strip below.
- Shooting happened during Jason Aldean concert, part of Route 91 Harvest Country Music Festival.
- The massacre has surpassed the Pulse Nightclub tragedy in Orlando as the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
- Las Vegas Sheriff Joe Lombardo says Paddock he was killed in a standoff with police in his hotel room; he had at least 10 rifles on him.
- U.S. official says there are currently no known links to terrorism or motives for the shooting, according to CNN.
- Marilou Danley was previously reported as having a possible link to the shooting, but police now say they have made contact with her and she is no longer a person of interest.
- Two Las Vegas police officers are hospitalized; one is in critical condition, while the other sustained minor injuries.
Investigators Questioning Gunman's GIrlfriend, and exploring shooter's attack plans
Update, 5:03 p.m. E.T., 4 October 2017
Marilou Danley, the girlfriend of the Las Vegas gunman, was at the FBI's building in Los Angeles for questioning on Wednesday, according to a law enforcement official. Authorities are seeking her insight into what prompted a man with no evident criminal history to become a mass murderer, the New York Times reported.
The FBI bureau is trying to reconstruct the actions of the gunman, including finding and interviewing "everyone and anyone who crossed his path in recent weeks," Andrew G. McCabe, the deputy director of the F.B.I., said at a cybersecurity conference in Boston.
The killer, Stephen Paddock, "is an individual who was not on our radar or anyone's radar prior to the event," Mr. McCabe said in an interview with CNBC outside the conference. "So we really have a challenging bit of detective work to do here, to kind of put the pieces back together after the fact."
Meanwhile, investigators are exploring whether Las Vegas suspected shooter Stephen Paddock sought a hotel room overlooking another outdoor concert in Las Vegas in late September that featured Chance the Rapper and Lorde, sources told ABC News.
Paddock allegedly rented multiple condos at The Ogden complex in downtown Las Vegas, which overlooked the location of the Life is Beautiful Festival. A spokeswoman for The Ogden referred questions to Las Vegas police.
At a press conference on Tuesday, authorities were asked if there was any indication Paddock was planning an earlier attack. "No. I'm not prepared to speak about that, but that is part of our investigation," they replied.
bag checks at hotels unlikely to become the new normal, expert says
Update, 3:20 p.m. E.T., 4 October 2017
In the aftermath of the Las Vegas shooting that killed 59 people and wounded more than 500 others, many are wondering if hotels will change their security policies and procedures.
Security Management reached out to Russell Kolins, CEO of the Kolins Security Group and chair of the ASIS International Hospitality, Entertainment, and Tourism Security Council for his thoughts on the future of hotel security. Read our analysis here.
Live Entertainment Promoters Rethinking Security
Update, 3:00 p.m. E.T., 3 October 2017
Concert and music festival planners are taking a closer look at security protocols following the Las Vegas shooting—which is just the latest attack on a public entertainment venue. Last year’s terrorist attack on the Bataclan theater in Paris, where the Eagles of Death Metal were playing, and the attack earlier this year on the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester show that concerts are tantalizing targets due to their publicity and the large amount of people that flock to them.
Damon Zumwalt, CEO of the company that provided about 200 security personnel for the Route 91 Harvest music festival, described to CNBC the moment he received the call from one of his managers about the shooting. Zumwalt’s company, Contemporary Services, works with law enforcement and runs active shooter drills but at a certain point there is nothing that can be done.
"We plan for practically everything, but you don't plan for something you can't control, like a guy off-property," Zumwalt said. "That's pretty devastating, and there's just no real reason for that kind of insanity."
Following the trend of soft target attacks, many music venues have increased their security. However, experts note that securing an indoor venue is far easier than an outdoor festival—officials can more easily control who enters an indoor space and what they bring with them. Experts agree that there is very little that Route 91 Harvest could have done to prevent Sunday night’s tragedy.
Going forward, festival organizers will have to be more mindful of event locations and the areas surrounding the festival’s footprint, according to Waco Hoover, CEO of XLIVE, which provides best practices for the industry. Event organizers will have to balance the need for an increased security presence—perhaps changes similar to what airports experienced following 9/11—while allowing the freedom to enjoy recreational activities that festivals foster.
"If you look at the scenario, this (security) is not a festival issue," Hoover told the Desert Sun. "This is not a Live Nation or Goldenvoice disclosing their security plans. They’re already working very, very closely with the city and the appropriate authorities to do those types of things. This is something which the producing entity has no control over.”
Twenty-Three firearms found in gunman's suite as investigation progresses
Update, 12:45 p.m. E.T., 3 October 2017
Officials are still investigating the events that led up to the horrific shooting in Las Vegas earlier this week, but did release information confirming they found 23 guns in the gunman's suite.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Sheriff Joseph Lombardo also told The New York Times that when Stephen Paddock's home was searched, they found 19 firearms, "some explosives, and several thousand rounds of ammo."
Some of the rifles found in Paddock's hotel room at Mandalay Bay may have been modified to make them fully automatic.
"Automatic rifles, which fire multiple rounds with a squeeze of a trigger, are highly regulated, and on videos posted online by witnesses, the rapid-fire sound indicated that at least one weapon was fully automatic," according to the Times.
In a report by The Las Vegas Sun, officials said Paddock had two "bump-stocks" that could have converted the firearms into fully automatic weapons.
Officials are currently investigating whether those stocks were used to modify weapons Paddock ultimately used to carry out the massacre.
The shooting has also raised questions about hotel security and if there are measures that could have detected the firearms as they were brought into Mandalay Bay.
In an interview with the Times, Mac Segal, consultant at AS Solution, said hotel guests in the United States and Europe place a premium on their privacy, so X-ray machines and explosive scanners are unlikely to appear at hotels anytime soon.
ASIS condemns vegas shooting, releases resources on soft target security
Update, 10:45 a.m. E.T., 3 October 2017
ASIS International released a statement condemning the "horrific massacre of Las Vegas concertgoers" and pledging its support to the security community.
"This senseless violence follows an all-too common pattern of lone wolf attacks targeting citizens where they live, work, and play," ASIS said. "Our members, 35,000 strong, stand united against this evil."
ASIS has also made resources on soft targets and active shooters available, free of charge, to assist the Las Vegas community and security professionals.
"We will continue to bring our resources to bear to help deter, prevent, and minimize future attacks," ASIS said. "In the days ahead, we will work with our Las Vegas chapter to help the area and its citizens recover and gather best practices to help make our communities more resilient."
ASIS international linkedin discussion of shooting
Update, 10:44 a.m. E.T., 3 October 2017
Any ASIS member who wants to comment or discuss the Las Vegas shooting and reponse may do so on the ASIS International LinkedIn group page. The discussion space can be found at the link below:
ASIS MEMBER OFFERS EXPERT Q&A TO SECURITY MANAGEMENT
Update, 1:35 p.m. E.T., 2 October 2017
Jeffrey A. Slotnick, CPP, PSP, is president of Setracon Enterprise Security Risk Management Services. He is an ASIS Senior Regional Vice President and past chair of the Physical Security Council. Security Management spoke to Slotnick about the deadly shootings in Las Vegas and the event's significance for active shooter preparedness and physical security. Read the transcript of the conversation here.
PADDOCK'S FATHER WAS ON FBI MOST-WANTED LIST
Update, 4:40 p.m. E.T., 2 October 2017
Shooter Stephen Paddock's father, Benjamin Hoskins Paddock, was on the FBI's most-wanted list for bank robbery from June 10, 1969 until May 5, 1977, CNN reports. The father escaped from prison in 1969 and was arrested in Oregon in 1978. He died a few years ago.
BROTHER OF SHOOTER SPEAKS TO FBI
Update, 12:48 p.m. E.T., 2 October 2017
The brother of Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock spoke out about his relative who took the lives of at least 58 people, saying there is "no reason he did this," the Washington Post reports. Eric Paddock gave a brief interview to the FBI outside his Orlando home. "He's just a guy who played video poker and took cruises and ate burritos at Taco Bell. There's no political affiliation that we know of. There's no religious affiliation that we know of," he said.
Neighbors from a retirement community in Reno, Nevada, called Paddock "extremely standoffish" and "reclusive." They added that he was a professional gambler, and would often take long absences from the neighborhood with his girlfriend, Marilou Danley.
NUMBER OF KILLED, INJURED RISES
Update, 12:21 p.m. E.T., 2 October 2017
Las Vegas Sheriff Joe Lombardo reports the number of killed in the Las Vegas shooting massacre has risen to 58; the number of injured exceeds 500.
PRESIDENT TRUMP CALLS VEGAS SHOOTINGS "ACT OF PURE EVIL"
Update, 11:11 a.m. E.T., 2 October 2017
In his first televised statement on the massacre, President Donald Trump called the Las Vegas shootings "an act of pure evil," and called upon Americans' "common humanity" to bring the nation together.
Trump said the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security are working closely with local authorities on the investigation and that the agencies will provide ongoing updates. He did not mention the shooter by name or the possibility of terrorism.
Trump praised police efforts in response to the shooting, and said their swift action helped prevent further loss of life. "I want to thank the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and all of the first responders for their courageous efforts and for helping to save the lives of so many," he said, calling the speed with which they acted "miraculous." He added their response is "what true professionalism is all about."
The president shared words of solace for the victims and their families, and spoke of a nation united by its shared values and common humanity. "Scripture teaches us the Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed," he said. "Our unity cannot be shattered by evil, our bonds cannot be broken by violence; and though we feel great anger at the senseless murder of our fellow citizens, it is our love that defines us today and always will forever."
Trump said he will be visiting Las Vegas on Wednesday to meet with law enforcement, first responders, and families of the victims, and said he has directed the American flag to be flown at half-staff.
Update, 10:36 a.m. E.T., 2 October 2017
PRESIDENT TRUMP TO SPEAK ON VEGAS SHOOTINGS
U.S. President Donald Trump is scheduled to address the deadly Las Vegas Shootings from the White House.
President Trump to Speak on Las Vegas Shootings
Earlier today, Trump took to Twitter to offer his condolensces to the victims and all those affected.
CITY OF LAS VEGAS SHARES PHONE NUMBER FOR PEOPLE SEARCHING FOR LOVED ONES
Update, 9:55 a.m. ET, 2 October 2017
UPDATE 10:10 a.m. ET, 2 October 2017
More than 50 people are dead and 400 injured in a Las Vegas massacre that began late Sunday night during an open-air country music festival. CNN reports 64 year-old gunman Stephen Paddock opened fire on the crowded strip from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino as victims below scrambled for cover. Las Vegas Sheriff Joe Lombardo says law enforcement used explosives to break down his hotel room door; Paddock shot himself as the SWAT team entered. In his room they found found at least 10 rifles, including one automatic. The event is the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history
Security Management will provide ongoing coverage of the aftermath and investigation of the event. For more information and resources, ASIS International has provided resources on soft targets and active shooter events.